availspace Available Space: I did it!

Thursday, September 04, 2008

I did it!

Red Bamboo - no. 2
5 x 7"
original paper collage
After years of contemplating, I finally did it. I decided to dive right into the world of teaching. It all happened on Monday as I was taking a walk/jog around the lake. The time was 9 am and I was thinking to myself how I didn't want to go home and do the same old thing I do everyday; clean house, grocery shop, paint, sit on the computer, etc. I needed a change. So, much to my own dismay, I shut off my inner critic, packed a bag with my new portfolio, some small collaged works, a 3D shadowboxed collage and my house from "In This House" and trucked off to the scrapbook shop. Much to my disappointment, the owner was not there and would not be returning for a couple of days.
Of course, I was somewhat relieved thinking that I could now go home and avoid any uncomfortable feelings of selling myself. However, instead of driving home, I drove to the neighboring town to a shop I had never been into before. I went in with my bag, my heart in my throat and my palms sweating. --Sheesh, that sounds so lame, but I was so nervous that I could barely speak (oh, don't forget that I have to speak Norwegian as well during my sales pitch)! -- Anyhoo, the shop was empty for all but the two owners. I sat down, took out my samples and they were sold! I couldn't believe it! Currently, collage is something somewhat new and exciting here and I am thinking that it is my chance to get the interest going! People seem quite keen to do other things other than just scrapping. To make an even longer story short, I am giving my first basic collage course on Saturday at a scrapbooking fair and then have two more classes scheduled in some weeks.
As you can imagine, I am nervous but also terribly excited! I really hope I can get these scandihoovians hooked on mixed media art!
Now, back to creating some class samples and to taking a deep breath!
(this post is dedicated to Wendy. thank you)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am BEYOND thrilled. oh, hon, you DID it!! you really did it! this is IT!!! it really is. oh, i'm truly awed and excited for you!!!!!!!!! this is JUST the beginning, gal, just the beginning. blessings on your every step. this is a whole new season, isn't it!!! more in email coming your way. have some news on this end, too. love, love, love wendy

5:38 PM  
Blogger Kari Quaas said...

Way to go, Erika!!!

5:39 PM  
Blogger jennifer black said...

Hooray for you. I can't imagine a better role model for your students.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

woohoo!! So excited for you. I can't wait to hear about the journey as it unfolds for you!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Anne-Britt said...

I came over this blog becuase I search for your name according to the fair on Saturday and your course. I really would love to attend it. It seems so interesting, I really look forward to it and hope the class will not be ful so I can get in;) I really love your work.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Anne-Britt said...

Hei igjen. Tusen tusen takk for et kjempebra kurs. Gleder meg til jeg kommer hjem til Bergen, så jeg kan få praktisert det;) Det var veldig gøy og så ble det så fint også;) Ha en fin helg videre. Og du klarte deg bra som kursleder. Klem fra Anne-Britt

8:24 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Congrats, Erika! You'll have fun, and you're so good that your students will be inspired just by seeing you work, I'm sure! I hope it goes well!

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newly discovering blogland, but have enjoyed your art for years, Erika. Thanks for the great eye candy. :) Redddawgi

1:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And if there was ever anyone truly qualified to teach collage it is you! Congratulations Erika ~ I wish I could be one of your students!
Crystal

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home