availspace Available Space: The Silent Child

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Silent Child

Lately I have had many sleepness nights and long days worrying about my son. He has always been a little different in the way he talks and sees the world. This has bothered me a bit in the past but I have always scrugged it off figuring that he was unique and that he will eventually find himself. Now, it seems, after reading and labouring over his language issues, that he is dyslexic. My heart hurts for him. I can just see the challenges that lie ahead not only for our family, but for him personally. Hearing your child say that when several people talk at the same time all he hears is noise and that the words and letters on a page seem to be jumping about, isn't quite the thing a mother wants to hear.

Can you imagine wanting to play with a group of friends and searching for the right words to say? Can you imagine when everyone is talking about a movie they saw and you say something out of context and everyone looks at you like you are completely mad? Imagine wanting to get in with the cool kids but only to find yourself sitting along because you can't follow the conversation. Did I mention that he is biligual as well? These are his struggles everyday. I made the collage above with him in mind, thinking that sometimes he just feels lost. I am looking forward to his unique interpretation.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

Beautiful piece. Your compositions always pull me in. there is a lot of emotion in this piece and that is what draws me in.
I feel like it has captured what you are feeling in regards to your son.

I am sorry to hear about this challenge facing him and your family. You always want the best possibilites for the ones you love, especially your children. But do not lose hope!

I used to work in the area of Learning Disabilities and there are many approaches to help your son deal with the hurdles that dyslexia will pose for him. With help and guidance he will learn how to. Now that the problem has been identified, you all can face it headstrong.

Take care.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kære Erika, ja, det er drøjt når tingene ikke flasker sig i forhold til vores børn. Jeg kender det så godt så godt. Man ønsker helst at kunne jævne vejen - og at de skal få en let gang på jorden. Men...sådan er det bare ikke altid. Og da er det omvendt et fantastisk held for din søn, at han er født ind i en familie der forstår at se bagom facaden - og som elsker ham som den han er. I skal nok få styr på det, og også hjælp med at få det!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

What a gorgeous piece, Erika! I'm sure your son will appreciate its intent some day, if not even today. I'm sorry about the hard road you and he have ahead, but as an artist, I'm sure you can teach him unique ways of looking at the world that other mothers may not be able to.... you'll do fine!

10:27 PM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Oh Erika such a beautiful piece it really reflects what that feeling must be like.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm having difficulty posting to blogger.
I just want you to know how much I empathize - I have a son with manyof the same issues, and it is so difficult to see your child suffer. We want to make the hurt go away, but we can't.
Just the fact that he has a mom who loves and understands is important.
Hang in there.
Deb

10:56 PM  
Blogger Galina Varese said...

What a beuatiful meaningful piece, very touching. I can feel a lot of emotions coming through: fear, despair, hope, wonder.
I have a special needs child, who is not talking at 5 years, and I know how difficult it is to be different. Your heart is breaking, and you want to protect your child from all the anxities, but he also has to learn to manage on his own.
There is always hope.
Thank you for a thought-provoking painting.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi, I just found your blog...I love your work. I am an adult with the same "learning disablity" as your son...and I was a child of the 70's...before they knew what it was or what to do about it. Just know that this can be a great thing! I learned to read and write, I learned to activly listen and concentrate, I of the way that I learn. No it's not easy, but it's also not a big horrible sad thing either...I still have a hard time coming up with words in talking, but writing is easy...I still can't do math, but my ability to organize and use space is out of the world and helped me become a great Garden designer and now an artist full time. I don't spell well, but I have an incredible vocabulary. I can't read aloud well, but I can read and retain 80% of what I read...and I read 1500 words a minute ( I read in blocks of text instead of one word at a time, it's easier). I can't remember names to well, but I never forget a voice, a conversation, or details about the people I know...except for Birthdays...I'm not good at those. There is a lot of beauty in being different, and a lot of wealth if you embrace the unique way we "see" and interact with this reality. I wish you and your son much luck. It's not a bad thing, it can be wonderful...many of the worlds greatest artists have the same "disablity"...and our (best) leaders too...it can be a good thing!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home