availspace Available Space: new endeavors

Sunday, August 27, 2006

new endeavors


Some people would say that I am creative. Some would even go as far as to say that I am ambious. I have never thought much about the latter until recently. You see, I have already entered in to what a lot of people would call their midlife uncertainity (but doesn't that usually wait until you hit 40?). I feel bored, restless and dissatisifed, something that I haven't been able to shake for the past few months. Until now!

I am doing it! I am going to open up my very own shop! Of course, if I am posting this on my blog for all to see, than I must have enough certainity and faith in myself that I am serious enough to act! I have gotten so far as to create a good draft of a business plan, what I think is the name of the shop and even started marketing.

What kind of shop do you ask? Well, a paper shop of course! Norwegians love to make stuff and most of what and where they can get their supplies is at the local hobby shop. There is basically one hobby chain that sells the basics in addition to a corner of scrapbooking stuff and other small bits from American vendors. I would like to say that I am NOT going in the scrapbooking direction but more the bookmaking direction. You know, accordian and starbooks, travel journals not to mention other unique handcrafted items people have never seen. Soldered charms, bracelets, tag books, all the things us mixed media artists are familiar with and have tried one time or another. I plan on not only offering fantastic handmade papers, but a select few rubberstamps and other provisions that I think just may appeal to the Norwegian market. Lots of classes will be offered as well, something never before seen here!

The best part for some of you artists is that once I get things up and going, I just may need some of you to come and teach stuff! Anyone like a trip to Norway on me? Ok, this may be a little down the road, but keep it in mind you creative souls! OH, and if anyone can come up with a fantastic name for a shop (something without the word "paper"), I would love to hear from you!

Ok, back to finish the business plan and figure out where to get some money!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erika

Great idea! If the "paper-supply-situation" in Norway is just a bit similar to the one here in Denmark, I think this is really something of a niche you´ve found: a shop for proper paper, stamps and equippement.

Best wishes for this!

10:29 AM  
Blogger bobbione8y said...

Congrats Erika!!

you know, i started up my design company 5 years ago with a restless spirit and no plan whatsoever :)

it has been a huge blessing, and a great learning opportunity in many ways too (ie it's hard work).

you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

bobbi

ps, i love my 2nd painting, it's very happy hanging in proximity to the first !!

b

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erika. WOW!.... A shop of your own. I am soooo envious. It definitely gives one a good excuse to come and see Norway! Why not name the shop "Available Space" to match your Blog? I love it! ...although it does not quite capture the essence of the shop. Another name I have always liked is "Nostalgia", yet it is a bit over-used these days. I say, keep it simple. I like a shop to have a one (or two-word) name. I enjoy the thought of walking down a street not known to me, and seeing a quaint, little shop with a sign out-front that says "Available Space" - it would bring a lot of inquiries. And to have it be in Norway... Wow! How fabulous. I cannot wait to hear more about it.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erika,
I know it will be a success!!! I wish you the best. You are a very talented Artist! I know having my own store gives me a sense of belonging, a sense of self.

I hope you will still share your artistic talents with Archival Elements. :)

Stacie

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erika,

How wonderful! Will you be selling products online too? How about "Paper Passion" or "Paper Lust"? Whatever you come up with will be perfect for you.

Amy

1:39 AM  
Blogger jennifer black said...

Hey girl--good for you! Fun, hard work, building something good and useful and beautiful. Just like you. Best of luck!

j

3:54 AM  
Blogger etre-soi said...

super great idea :) That's wonderful wish you all the luck with your project :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

This is so exciting! Of course you will be so successful! Plus it is a great way for you to get your supplies for wholesale. So you can make more fabulous art. A name - oh boy I have not had my red bull yet. . .
Once upon a time, Curious Treasures, Poet Within, Past Perfect, Period Pieces, Learning Curve, Collected Swoon, Counter Crafty, Eclectic Dreams, Vintage Fusion, Modern-day Mecca and
Paper, Paper, Paper r-us or Lucky, Lucky, Happy Paper Store. ;)

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!
I have ALL the faith in the world you will suceed!!!!
Even better.. you have the GUTS and BRAVERY to do it.. most people (myself included) just dream of things...and never act.. you never get anywhere just dreaming now do you??? You act on your dreams and you'll NEVER regret!!!You are following your hearts trail!!!! I am proud to know you!

What about The Paper Plate?
OR
The Paper Epiphany (which struck me because one of the meanings for epiphany reads..."A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something"

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo Congrats Girlie!! The first thing that flew into my mind was THE Paper Floozie :D we're all paper whores baby, but whore is not as cute of a word as floozie lol

xoxs
Miz C

1:24 AM  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Hey Erika
CONGRATS!!!
LOL You know how badly I want to go to Norway...
;)
Best of luck and keep in touch!!
Kelly Kilmer

3:24 AM  
Blogger A bird in the hand said...

Brilliant idea!

How about, very simply, Paper Arts. I imagine you would have to try all the suggestions in Norwegian first??

3:19 AM  
Blogger A bird in the hand said...

Oh, sorry! I just realized you said "something WITHOUT the word paper".

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's going on???? I want to hear more....?? Anxiously awaiting to hear more of your dream coming true!!!!!!!

:)

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few ideas: Papeteria Studio ( papeteria in polish means stationary), Dream Box ,She-art,Kaleidoscope, Torn Edge,Mixed Emotions.
Good luck!!!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Erika Tysse said...

Thank you everyone for your fantastic suggestions and comments! Everything has been written down. I will try and announce my final decision as soon as my business is registered!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Maija said...

Hi Erika...we are in the 12 days of Xmas swap and that's how I found your blog. The store idea sounds wonderful. There is a store near me that is into the paper and book business and you may want to check them out for ideas. The address is www.thepaperstudio.com. Best of luck!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home